- It matches meta-data only not full text
- It is a semantic search more than a keyword search and does not support Boolean operators like OR and AND
- It now allows field searching and phrase quotes that bring you closer to keyword searching (new as of May 2020), but with limitations
- Microsoft Academic's new "loose semantic query interpretation" will drop terms even quoted ones
- When matching terms in "field of study" (Microsoft academic autogenerated hierachical subject system), the subject terms are not "exploded"
- You cannot order by citations but only by "saliency" and "most estimated citations" (explanation of what these are)"
Alles in allem ist die Recherche in Microsoft Academics brauchbar - man kann sie alternativ zu Google Scholar einsetzen.